Final Presentation

Monday, February 22, 2010

A Charming View's Final Presentation

I really enjoyed the lay-out of this presentation and the way in which it all fit together. The issues surrounding child labor were brought up and then the consequences of both sides were immediately highlighted. I have heard about child labor before, but I never realized how many negative effects there were regarding this issue. The videos supply many horrific images that I wish I never had to see, but I am glad I did because they gave me a greater sense of how terrible the working conditions are for these children. Living in a first world country, we are very fortunate. School is just a part of the children's daily routine and working seems unheard of at a young age. In third world countries, these children can not eat dinner if they choose to go school. The question of "hunger or work" is still one I cannot answer. Both options were presented in this presentation and yet I am still unsure of what these children should do. It is such a depressing issue that truthfully does not seem to have a solution. Getting rid of child labor would severely hurt their economies and cause many families to go hungry. At the same time, children could go to school and get an education. From the presentation it becomes obvious that there a many detriments to both keeping and getting rid of child labor in third world countries. One idea that I find very upsetting is that the children who suffer from this issue are defenseless. Children do not necessarily have a voice in the government, and therefore it is up to the adults to make these decisions for them. It is unfortunate that children are not heard when dealing with an issue that has their age in the title. I liked how at the end of the presentation there was a slide that stated our obligation as a first world country to help the third world countries in need. Many American citizens are unaware of how easy their lives are compared to these suffering children. This slide answered the question of what it means to be is American. The answer is to give back. To be thankful of how easy most of us have it, and give back to those less fortunate. This presentation would be a great way to show the world the horrors of child labor and how awful this issue has become. 

No comments:

Post a Comment